The following system requirements are the recommended MINIMUM computer specifications for taking courses online at Douglas College. Douglas College has multiple integrated educational software delivery services such as:
- Blackboard Learn™
- Blackboard Collaborate Ultra™
- Respondus LockDown Browser™
- Microsoft 365
Please reach out to your instructor for additional information to ensure that you are able to fully engage in your courses.
1. Blackboard Learn
Minimum Hardware Requirements
- Supported Operating Sytems: Windows 8, Windows 10, Mac OS 10.12, Mac OS 10.13, Mac OS 10.14, iOS, Android, Windows Mobile, Chrome OS
- Suggested RAM: 4GB RAM (8GB RAM or more is highly recommended)
- Internet Connection and Speed: Minimum speed of 1.5 Mbps download, 750 Kbps upload
- Internet Connection: Wired Network is recommended. Secured Wireless connections are acceptable, but performance will vary.
- Additional Tools for video and video conferencing tools: Webcam, microphone and speakers
Not Recommended Hardware
Please note that while the following devices and version have been tested, they might not provide all the functionality required to take an online course at Douglas College. Please contact the CEIT Service Desk for further technical support or assistance.
- iOS Devices: iPod Touch, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5S, iPhone5c, iPhone 6, iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad Mini 3, iPad Air
- Android Devices: Galaxy S4, Galaxy S5, HTC G1, LG C800 myTouch, HTC One, Galaxy Note 2014, HTC One M8
- Windows Mobile Devices: Venue 8 Pro, Lumia 520, Lumia 930
- Chrome OS Devices: Chromebook (Chrome browser; features requiring NPAPI plug-ins are not supported)
Blackboard Learn provides a list of supported browsers that will ensure all course content and course tools are displayed accurately. We recommend installing both Chrome and Firefox browsers to access our technologies, especially if you receive an error message while using either of these browsers. Please try using a different browser to see if you experience the same results before contacting the CEIT Service Desk for assistance. Click here to view the list of supported browsers.
2. Respondus lockdown browser™ and respondus monitor™ - fully automated proctoring for online exams
- Respondus LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor are web-based tool that enables you, as a student, to record yourself with a webcam and microphone during an online exam. You may be required to take your exams using these tools.
- Respondus Monitor - System Requirements
- Respondus Lockdown Browser - System Requirements
3. Additional online tools – system requirements
Your instructors may choose to use additional software within your courses. Some common software and their computer system requirements are listed below. This might not include all the additional software services. If the software you are looking for is not listed here, please reach out to your instructor for additional information and technical requirements.