Position: Instructor and Psychosocial Rehabilitation Program Coordinator
Department: Psychology/Social Science
Faculty: Humanities and Social Sciences
Office: NW N3442
Office Phone: (604) 527-5314
Cell Phone: (778) 888-6422
Education and Credentials
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Africa Mental Health Foundation, 2015
- Ph.D.,Faculty of Medicine, Dept. Occupational Science & Occupational Therapy, University of British Columbia, 2013
- M.A. (Leadership in Health Care) Royal Roads University, Victoria, British Columbia, 2006
- Diploma Occupational Therapy, Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland, 1986
Academic and Professional Profile
Regina has worked in community mental health practice for over 20 years, is currently coordinating the graduate Psychosocial Rehabilitation Diploma at Douglas College and an educational platform for stakeholders in recovery-oriented PSR (please see psyrehab.ca). Regina also teaches at UBC at the school of occupational science and occupational therapy and has a keen interest in research activities re recovery, activity health and health and wellness in low and middle-income countries.
To offer learners a transformational and meaningful educational experience that will contribute to their academic standing, potential employment opportunities and personal learning regarding recovery-oriented psychosocial rehabilitation.
- PSYC 5002
- Collaboratively developing an evidence-informed culturally sensitive recovery-oriented psychosocial rehabilitation toolkit to support the health and wellness of individuals who live with mental illness in low-income countries. People who have contributed to this work and who will use it include; people with lived experience of mental illness, loved ones, hospital staff and administrators in both Nairobi and Machakos districts of Kenya. Additional funding supported the development of toolkit education, dissemination and evaluation opportunities with and for staff in Mathari Hospital Nairobi, Kenya in June 2016. The goal is to scale up this project for use in other low and middle income countries.
- Applied for and was awarded grant funding with 33 partners to implement Canadian Recovery Guidelines in four Canadian cities with McGill University, Montreal, Canada 2016. Obtained partner funds from the Michael Smith Foundation – Deferred to Sept 2017.
Specialized Educational Activities
- Developing Advanced Practice website and a community of practice for knowledge translation regarding Recovery-oriented PSR “Best Practices” In partnership with BC Ministry of Health and Douglas College, 2014-present (see psyrehab.ca/com website for several high quality webinars)
- Our Advanced Practice Team developed, delivered, evaluated and coorded education initiatives on supported employment and supported education for staff helping people with complex needs find employment funded in part by grants from the BC Ministry of Advanced Education and the support of Douglas College. 2014- present.
- Offers mental health organizations education and evaluation support upon request.
Professional Affiliations and Community Service
- Curriculum Committee, Master of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy, UBC 2013-present
- Board Member– Psychosocial Rehabilitation (PSR)/Réadaptation Psychosociale (RPS), Canada 2015-present
- Co-Chair – Psychosocial Rehabilitation (PSR)/Réadaptation Psychosociale (RPS), BC 2011- present
- Chairperson PSR/RPS Canada Training Committee 2017- present
- Board Member – Canadian Mental Health/Vancouver-Fraser Branch 2010- 2016
- Consumer and family voice committee -Canadian Mental Health/Vancouver-Fraser Branch 2015- present
- Editor – Mental Health Practice Colum. Occupational Therapy Now 2010- 2017
- Member –Consumers for knowledge exchange and research group (ConKer) 2006- 2013
- Steering committee member – Bringing cognitive remediation to BC Conference 2017- present
- Advisory Committee – Imagining inclusion: Creating upstream change in community Mental Health 2016- present
Hobbies and Interests
Travelling, learning and gardening
Selected Refereed Publications:
Casey, R . Krupa, T., Lysaght, R., Ruhara, R., Mutiso, V., Kidd. S. Ndetei, D. & MacDougall, A. (2016). Translating innovative recovery-oriented psychosocial rehabilitation practices to low resource regions to enhance community participation of people with serious mental illness. Occupational Therapy Now, Sept 2016.
Casey, R., Lamontagne, C., Bujold, K. & MacLaghlan, J. (2013). Compelling mental health practice; A review of the occupational therapy and occupational science conference 2013. Occupational Therapy Now.
Selected Conference Presentations:
MacDougall, A., Price, E., Casey, R., Canes, M., Krupa, T., Lysaght, R., Janzen- LeBar, Branzei, O., R., Mutiso, Kidd, S., V., Ndetei, D., & Ruhara,. R. (2017). Extending the CREATE Psychosocial Rehabilitation Toolkit to Kenya Mental Health Settings; A feasibility study/ Canadian Conference on Global Health in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada from October 29th-31st, 2017
Casey, R., Krupa, T., Lysaght, R., MacDougall, A., Kidd, S., Ruhara, R., Mutiso, V., Ndetei, D., Little, J., & Jayaraman, V. (2016). Building a strong empowered community among people with mental illness through economic development in low-resource regions. British Columbia College of Occupational Therapists Annual General Meeting, Vancouver, BC, October 29, 2016 poster
Casey, R., Krupa, T., Lysaght, R., MacDougall, A., Kidd, S., Ruhara, R., Mutiso, V., Ndetei, D., Little, J., & Jayaraman, V. (2016). Building a strong empowered community among people with mental illness through economic development in low-resource regions. National PSR Conference, Thunder Bay June 22, 2016 paper
Loewen, T., Paiaro, A., Casey, R., Lee, M., & Walker, G. (2016). Hearing voices group: Inspiring meaningful occupations. National PSR Conference, Thunder Bay June 21, 2016
Casey, R., Little, J., Krupa, T., Lysaght, R., Kidd, S., Ruhars, R., Mutiso, V., Ndetei, D., & McDougall. A. (2016). Inspiring empowerment among people with mental illness in low-resource regions. Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists National Conference 2016, Inspired for higher summits, Banff, Alberta, April 19-22. Paper