Business Law (Post-Degree Diploma)
Does your job require you to deal with legal documents, but your knowledge of business law is lacking? Let the Post-Degree Diploma in Business Law help you out. Unique to British Columbia, this one-year program will teach you the fundamentals of business law. You’ll learn the basics of business, finance and accounting law, how to draft and interpret employment and service contracts, and more. With the legal skills and knowledge gained through this program, you’ll differentiate yourself from other candidates and better position yourself to advance your professional career.
This program is ideal for business owners and managers, professionals in accounting, finance, risk management or human resources, and anyone who might have to review and negotiate contracts in a business or sales setting. You must already have a bachelor’s degree to take this program.
A great introduction to the law
If you’re considering a career in law but are not quite ready to take the leap into law school, this program is a great introduction to the legal field and some of the topics you can expect to encounter in a law degree program. Many of the courses in the post-degree diploma program qualify for credit transfer to other post-secondary institutions in British Columbia; however, this program is not equivalent to first year law.
- Successful completion of 30 credits
- A minimum grade of "C" for each individual course, and an overall average grade of "C+" or 2.33 GPA
- 70% (21 credits) of all coursework must be completed at Douglas College
- Up to a maximum of nine credits used towards a previously received credential can be used to meet program requirements, but additional courses will need to be taken to replace these credits. Applicant will be advised to contact the Business Department Chair for approval of substitutions
|Course Number||Course Title||Credits|
|BLAW 1320||Introductory Business Law||3.00|
|BLAW 3730||Corporate and Financial Planning Law||3.00|
|BLAW 4720||Procurement Law and Contract Interpretation||3.00|
|ENGL 1130||Academic Writing||3.00|
|LGST 1110||Legal Research and Reasoning||3.00|
|One of the following course options:|
|BUSN 1210||Management Essentials||3.00|
|Or any suitable Commerce and Business Administration course approved by the Business Department Chair|
|Four courses from the following options:|
|BLAW 3700||Fundamentals of International Trade Law||3.00|
|BLAW 3710||Sales and Marketing Law||3.00|
|BLAW 37501||Employment Law||3.00|
|BLAW 3760||Labour Relations||3.00|
|BLAW 3770||Real Estate Law||3.00|
|BUSN 4490||Applied Legal and Ethical Decision Making for Managers, Professionals, and Executives||3.00|
Applicants must meet the admission requirements listed below:
- General College Admission Requirements
- Applicants must have an undergraduate degree (Bachelor level) from a recognized post-secondary institution in Canada or an equivalent credential from an approved institution in a different country. Any applicant who earned their credential in a language other than English will be required to meet the Douglas College English language proficiency requirement.
Program Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this program and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the program, consider the previous version as the applicable version.