Science & Technology
Dispensing Optician Diploma
Date of First Offering
Diploma in Dispensing Opticianry
Length of Program
- High School Graduation or equivalent *
- Any Math 11 with a grade of "C-" or better (or equivalent)
- Signed documentation of an Optical tour. Optical tours and forms are available at regularly scheduled Coquitlam Campus Information Sessions.
- English 12 with a "B" in the last four years or an equivalent. A Computer-based English assessment is available at Douglas College.
- Applicants may be required to attend a personal interview that will be used for the purposes of providing information and academic counselling. Direct entry into second year of the program is available for those individuals already employed within the optical field as an Optician - Eyeglass Dispenser and desiring educational qualifications in the fitting of contact lenses.
- Criminal Record Check - This program requires students to train in an environment that demands individuals to provide proof of a satisfactorily completed, current CRS for the protection of the clients. To meet this requirement, prospective students must submit to a current CRC as a condition of entry to the program.. All costs related to the completion of this search are the responsibility of the individual student.
* Successful completion of two three-credit university transfer courses may be substituted for high school graduation
Year 1 - Semester I
|DOPT 1100||Dispensing Optician Theory I||5|
|DOPT 1112||Dispensing Optician Lab Skills I||6|
|CMNS 1111||Workplace Communications||3|
Year 1 - Semester II
|DOPT 1200||Dispensing Optician Theory II||5|
|DOPT 1210||Dispensing Optician Clinical Practice II||4|
|DOPT 1212||Dispensing Optician Lab Skills II||6|
Year 1 - Semester III
|DOPT 1310||Dispensing Optician Eyeglass Preceptorship||5|
Year 2 - Semester IV
|DOPT 2101||Theory in Contact Lenses & Optical Technologies I||4|
|DOPT 2113||Laboratory in Contact Lenses & Optical Technologies I||6|
Year 2 - Semester V
|DOPT 2201||Theory in Contact Lenses & Optical Technologies II||4|
|DOPT 2211||Clinical in Contact Lenses & Optical Technologies II||5|
|DOPT 2213||Laboratory in Contact Lenses & Optical Technologies II||6|
Year 2 - Semester VI
|DOPT 2311||Clinical in Contact Lenses & Optical Technologies III||4|