Before you apply to Douglas College, you need to make sure you meet the necessary admission requirements.
1. Academic Requirements
- Undergraduate (diploma and associate degree) programs:
- High school graduation OR minimum 17 years of age by the end of the first month of studies in the semester of entry to Douglas College; and
- Minimum overall grade average of 60% (or equivalent) in the final year of high school; and
- Minimum final grade of “C” or 60% (or equivalent) in Grade 11 Mathematics or equivalent for most programs
- Post-Graduate (Post-Degree and Post-Baccalaureate) programs:
- Graduation from a recognized degree granting post-secondary institution with a minimum 3-year bachelor degree; and
- Minimum cumulative grade point average of 60% (or equivalent) during the bachelor degree program
2. English Language Proficiency
You are required to demonstrate proficiency in the English language prior to admission to Douglas College. You may demonstrate English language proficiency by completing and submitting proof of one of the following:
|TOEFL (Internet Based Test – iBT)||Overall score of 83 (minimum 21 in Writing for Post-Degree and Post-Baccalaureate programs). Official test scores must be sent directly to Douglas College from ETS. Douglas College's institution code is: 9568.|
|IELTS (Academic Module)||
Overall score of 6.5 (no band below 6.0 for Post-Degree and Post-Baccalaureate programs)
Note: IELTS General is not accepted.
|CAEL||Minimum overall and essay score of 60 (computer or paper based)|
|EIKEN Practical English||Minimum placement of Grade 1|
|LPI||LPI - minimum essay score 4|
|B.C. secondary school English 12 (final classroom and provincial exam blended grade) or English Studies 12 (final grade)||Minimum grade of C (60%)|
B.C. secondary school Communications 12 (final classroom and provincial exam blended grade)
Minimum grade of B (73%)
International Baccalaureate (IB) English Language A – Standard Level
|Minimum grade of 3 or C|
|Advanced Placement (AP) English Language or Literature||Minimum grade of 3 or C|
Enrolment in a college or university level English or Communications course (recognized B.C. post-secondary institutions only)
Minimum grade of C recommended
|Graduation from a recognized bachelor or master degree program at an accredited university at which English is the primary language of instruction in a country where English is the principle language (Depending on the program of study, the length of the program and time since graduation, Douglas College may request English language proficiency scores to demonstrate English proficiency).||Please click here for a list of eligible countries.|
|EC language school||Completion of the Advanced Level of the University Preparation program|
|ELS language school||Level 112 completion with satisfactory attendance|
|ILAC language school||University Pathway 3.3 Level 16 completion with satisfactory attendance|
|ILSC language school||University Pathway Level A2 completion with satisfactory attendance|
|KAPLAN PLI language school||Level C1 completion with satisfactory attendance|
|VGC International College||
Level 7 completion with satisfactory attendance
|Global Village language school||Level 7 completion with satisfactory attendance|
|PTE (Pearson Test of English)||Minimum overall score of 56|
|Duolingo||Minimum overall score of 110. Official test scores must be sent directly to Douglas College.|
Notes on the English proficiency requirement:
- If you do not meet the English language proficiency requirement for admission, you may apply to the Douglas College English Language Learning and Acquisition Program (ELLA) or through one of our ESL Pathways partnerships.
- Official test scores have a validity period of 2 years from the date the test was written
- Language pathway completion certificates have a validity period of 1 year from the date the program was completed
- Only the most common ways of meeting the English proficiency requirement have been listed in the table above. There are other acceptable substitutions for International Students to meet the English proficiency requirement for admission to Douglas College. Contact International Admissions if you have any questions.
- For a list of countries that satisfy the English language admission requirements at Douglas College, please click here.
3. Other Admission Requirements
- Minimum age requirement: you must be at least 17 years of age by the end of the first month of studies in the semester of entry to Douglas College.
- Some specialized programs may have admission requirements in addition to the ones outlined above. For more details, consult the individual program pages.
- For students transferring from other recognized post-secondary institutions in Canada, a minimum GPA of 2.0 is required (based on most recent full time studies).
- Some programs may have additional admission requirements. Please review the admissions section of the program you are interested in for additional information.
- Due to the competitive nature of admissions into many programs at Douglas College, merely meeting the minimum admission requirements does not always guarantee admission.
- Douglas College reserves the right to request English language proficiency results.
Admission to the English Language Learning & Acquisition (ELLA) Program
1. Academic Requirements
- BC secondary school graduation; or
- High school graduation in another school system; or
- 19 years of age by the end of the first month of studies in the semester of entry to Douglas College.
2. English Requirements for ELLA placement
- You must submit proof of ONE of the following:
- TOEFL - minimum score 45 IBT ((Douglas College only accepts an official TOEFL score. Douglas College's institutional code is 9568).
- IELTS – minimum score 4.5, no band below 4.5
- Douglas College ELLA Assessment test offered only to students living in the Vancouver area. For details, contact International Admissions
- An official post-secondary transcript showing successful completion of English for Academic Purposes courses as outlined in the Articulation Handbook for ESL Programs in the British Columbia College and Institute System (transcript must show four skill areas: Reading, Writing, Listening and Conversation)
- Note: Official test scores are valid 2 years from the date the test was written.
3. Other Admission Requirements
- Minimum age requirement: must be at least 17 years of age by the end of the first month of studies in the semester of entry to Douglas College.