What is the Strong Start Mentorship Program:
The Mentorship Program helps to welcome and orient new international students to Douglas College. New international students will have the opportunity to be matched and connected with returning senior students called Student Mentors. Student Mentors will help guide mentees by sharing experiences, providing social connection and important student life information.
Mentors help new students by answering questions about Douglas College or re-directing them to contact essential Douglas College services, New International student essentials including medical insurance, how to navigate the website, how to find textbooks and tips on preparing for a virtual education.
Create early connections from mentor to mentee and provide new international students the support and guidance they need to transition to Canada, BC, and Douglas College.
- Help orient students to Douglas College services.
- Support a peer-to-peer network between new students.
- Reduce the feelings of loneliness and isolation among new students.
- Increase intercultural communication skills and competency for all participants.
Important dates for the Winter 2021 program:
- December 14th - Registration opens for volunteer mentors
- December 16th - Registration opens for mentees
- January 4th - First day of the program; matching begins
- January 22nd - Meet and Greet event (All participants)
- February 12th - Last day to register as a mentor or a mentee
- *February 26th - Team building and networking event (Mentors only)
- *March 26th - Discussion on leadership and program check-in (Mentors only)
- *April 9th - Final celebration (All participants)
- April 22nd - Last day of the program
*Dates are tentative
Meet some of our mentors, here to explain more about the program:
If you have questions about the program, please contact us here.
**REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED FOR THE WINTER 2021 SEMESTER**