New International Student Checklist

1.Prepare Your Immigration Documents

Study Permit: A valid study permit authorizes you to stay and study in Canada. If you are an international student, you require a valid study permit to study at Douglas College.

Letter of Introduction: If this is your first time to apply for a study permit outside Canada, you will receive a Letter of Introduction when your study permit gets approved. You will need to bring the Letter of Introduction with you when you enter Canada. The Border Services officers will issue you a study permit at the port of entry. After you receive your study permit, please double check your personal information, validity, and remarks about working eligibility.

  • To apply for your study permit, visit the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website for eligibility details and application instructions.
  • Inform us if your study permit is approved or refused by the deadline. You must have your study permit approved at least five business days prior to the start date of your program. If you do not inform us by the deadline, you may not be eligible for a refund of your tuition and fees. See our refund policy.

If you are coming directly from a high school in Canada, you should apply to change the conditions of your current study permit and receive the new study permit. Your study permit for secondary school allows you to study at the university or college level temporarily if you submit your study permit extensin application before its expiry. Visit the IRCC website for more information. 

If you are transferring from a post-secondary school in Canada, you must inform IRCC of your Designated Learning Institution (DLI) change. You do not need to apply for a new study permit. You are allowed to continue with your current study permit as long as it is valid. Visit the IRCC website for more information. Douglas College’s DLI number is O19360973702. 

If you are a one-semester exchange student, you do not require a study permit because you have been accepted into a program that is less than six months in duration.

Temporary Resident Visa: A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), also known as an 'entry visa,' is used only for entry and re-entry into Canada. Only citizens of certain countries require a TRV. Find out if you need a TRV here. You may be eligible to apply for your TRV with your study permit. 

eTA: Students from entry visa-exempt countries (except for U.S. citizens) must obtain an eTA to fly into Canada. Find more information here.



2. Check Your Course Schedule on MyAccount

New international students are automatically registered for 12 credits worth of appropriate courses for their first semester. Check your course schedule by logging into MyAccount. If you are just starting your studies at Douglas College, your first semester courses will be registered for you. 

Don’t know how to use MyAccount? Visit our Logins & Passwords page. 

If you are not registered for 12 credits by the last month before you first semester, please contact us at

If you are a transfer student, you will be responsible to self-register courses for your first semester. This is to avoid being registered in courses you plan to transfer from another institution. If you need further assistance, please contact your Admission Officer. 



3. Get Travel Insurance for the First 3 Months

It is mandatory to have a basic medical coverage while you are studying at Douglas College. New international students are responsible for obtaining temporary medical insurance coverage until you are eligible for BC Medical Services Plan. This can take 3 months or more.

Learn more about medical insurance in BC here.



4. Register for New International Student Orientation

All international students are required to attend the New International Student Orientation. Find out more about the orientation here

You are also welcome to attend other college-wide orientations and new student events in addition to the Strong Start: New Student Orientation. Find out what other events you can attend here.



5. Plan Your Trip to Canada for First Day of Classes 

All students are expected to attend their first class of the semester for each course. If you must miss the first class, you are responsible for notifying your instructor in advance. 

If you miss your first of class and you have NOT notified your instructor, you may loose your seat in that class. Tuition fees for the first-semester courses are non-refundable and non-transferable.

See full details on our Attendance Policy



6. Plan Your Accommodation

Many international students plan to live in homestay or rent their own places. Find out how you can prepare your accommodation in Vancouver. 

Douglas College has three campuses: New Westminster Campus, Anvil Centre Campus and David Lam Campus (Coquitlam Campus). 



7. Check Important Dates and Deadlines

Be sure to double check all important dates and deadlines for each semester here

NOTE: Deposit fees for the first 12 credits are non-refundable. Add / Drop / Refund policies do not apply to your tuition deposit for your first 12 credits. 



8. Things to Do within the First Week of School

Contact Information

Have questions or need more information?