Visas and Study Permits


During COVID-19, IRCC is providing important updates for international students regarding visas, study permits, working as an international student, and Post-Graduate Work Permits. Please refer to their page for the most up-to-date information.
Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): International students

Applying for Your Study Permit

Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) requires credential seeking students to hold a valid study permit during their study in Canada.

Study Permit Extension

If you plan to study beyond your study permit’s expiry date, it is your responsibility to apply for an extension before it expires. Apply to extend your study permit 30-90 days before the expiry date. Do NOT let your study permit expire. 

You can apply online to extend your study permit through your personal IRCC Online Account on IRCC's website. Make sure you have the required supporting documents before you sit down to complete the form. Give yourself enough time to complete and submit the application.

You will need a supporting letter from the International Office and an official transcript from your Douglas College myAccount. Request these documents at least two months in advance. 

If you need assistance with your application, come to the International office with all of your documents and use one of the public computers. International Student Advising Specialists (ISASs) are available at Douglas College International office if you need advice on your specific situation. You can meet ISASs during the drop-in time.


Maintained status (formally called implied status)

Once you have applied to extend your study permit before its expiry date, you are still considered a temporary resident of Canada even after the expiry date of your study permit. This is called maintained status. With maintained status, you may continue to stay and study until you receive a response from IRCC as long as you remain in Canada and continue to meet the conditions of your study permit.

Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) Extension

After you have received your new study permit, some students, depending on your home country, can apply to extend your TRV. Like a study permit extension, you can also apply for a TRV extension through your online IRCC Online Account. A TRV is issued with the same expiry date as your study permit. 

If you plan to leave and come back to Canada after your current TRV expiry date, start your TRV extension process in advance. IRCC advises applicants to apply at least two months in advance of a planned departure from Canada.

Other Considerations

  • If you are coming directly from a high school in Canada, you may continue studying with the same study permit if your study permit is valid. However, you must inform IRCC of your Designated Learning Institution (DLI) change. Visit the IRCC website for more information on Changing your School or Program. Douglas College’s DLI number is O19360973702.
  • If you are transferring from a post-secondary school in Canada, you must also inform IRCC Designated Learning Institution (DLI) has changed here. Douglas College’s DLI number is O19360973702.
  • All Study Permit holders must actively pursue their courses or program of study while you are in Canada.

Online Services

During social isolation due to COVID-19, students can still access services at the International Office online through email, Facebook, Instagram, or via phone. 

Learn More

Submit Your New Study Permit

Once you have received your new study permit, you need to inform DCI to update your record.

Upload Study Permit Here