The Veterinary Technology Program Readiness Assessment is currently offered by appointment online using Blackboard via Zoom and your personal computer and web camera.
Please note that Blackboard no longer supports Internet Explorer but the use of Chrome or Firefox.
Fall 2021 Changes:
Your Veterinary Technology Program Readiness Assessment will be offered in-person using Blackboard for the Fall semester. Registration must be done 72 (business) hours in advance because you will need to complete the Task - Tech Set Up in Blackboard to ensure you have working access before your scheduled date and time.
- Who should Write
- What to bring to the test
- Preparation for the test
- What it tests
- Format of the test
- Test result
- Test policy
- Test schedule
- How to book an assessment
Only students who do not have proof of B.C. Foundations of Math 11 OR B.C. Principles of Math 11 with a C grade or better or an approved substitution AND have applied to the Veterinary Technology program.
Please bring your:
- student number, photo identification(driver's license, passport, or Douglas College student card),
- A pen or pencil and,
- Scratch paper to be destroyed when you complete the test.
Calculators are not permitted for this test (electronic or otherwise).
Books entitled Intermediate Algebra or College Algebra can help you review for the test. Local public libraries will have these available.
The test consists of questions drawn from topics such as:
- calculating percents
- solving proportions
- performing operations with integers and fractions, following the correct order of operations
- solving equations: linear, rational, literal
- solving word problems which yield linear equations
- evaluating algebraic expressions and formulas: linear, rational, exponential, radical
- determining slope: given two points on a line
- determining the equations of a straight line in slope-intercept form
- reading and interpreting linear and non-linear graphs
- solving right triangles for missing sides
This Assessment is an 18 question multiple-choice test which requires a mark of 12 or higher to pass. 12/18 is an approved substitution for B.C. Foundations of Math 11 or B.C. Principles of Math 11 with a grade of C. Students who score from 9 to 11 will be permitted to rewrite after 2 months or take the MATU Assessment for placement. Students who score 8 or lower must complete the MATU Assessment for placement or will be permitted to re-write the test again after 1 year. The Assessment takes approximately 1 hour to complete.
The invigilator will give you your test results once the exam is completed and marked. Results go directly on your computerized student record but you should keep your copy of the results in case you must register in person during the first two weeks of class.
Students may take an assessment test for admission to courses and/or programs a maximum of two times within a two-year period. Students who believe extenuating circumstances exist may contact the Registrar to request special consideration or exemption to this policy.
Please follow the steps on - Assessment Testing Information to book your exam
Visit page How to book an Assessment page.
Please note that registration or cancellation of assessments must be done 24 (business) hours in advance of the scheduled date and time.