To provide students with a detailed understanding of the various duties of a warehouse person and the specific job requirements of each position. The course is designed to help students make an informed decision as to the particular job they would be most suited to in a warehouse environment. Students are introduced in detail to the most salient parts of the Occupational Health and Safety regulations of BC, BC Human Rights Code, BC Employment Standards Act, and Federal Employment Equity Act.
- Understand and identify the roles and responsibilities of the shipper.
- Understand and identify the roles and responsibilities of the receiver.
- Understand and identify the roles and responsibilities of the order picker.
- Describe the function and methods of inventory control.
- Explain the importance of good customer service.
- Recognize methods of pricing and payment.
- Understand and complete warehouse forms.
- Become familiar with workplace safety.
Methods Of Instruction
- Class discussions
Means of Assessment
- A mastery model of continuous evaluations will be used.
- A student will have completed the course when he/she has demonstrated through satisfactory completion of exercises and assignments that the course objectives have been achieved.
- Where formal tests are used mastery will be defined as a score of 70% or more.
- The instructor in consultation with each student will monitor progress on a regular basis.
- The student will be expected to maintain regular attendance and progress, actively participate in all activities, and complete all assignments as directed.
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety regulations, and legislation around employment in general, will be demonstrated through a written test.
- Understand the different warehouse job descriptions and identify the duties and responsibilities involved from receiving goods to the shipping of merchandise to customers.
- Identify and assess personal skills, abilities, and compatibility with warehousing jobs.
- Explore the BC Human Rights Code, BC Employment Standards Act, Federal Employment Equity Act, Occupational Health and Safety regulations and their rights as workers and citizens in BC.
Nil. Topic relevant material will be provided throughout the course.