Major topics may include:
- Population, community and ecosystem processes
- Biological diversity and conservation biology
- Geological topics including:
- Bedrock & surficial geology
- Landscapes & hillslopes
- Streams & flooding
- Earthquakes & hazards
- Shorelines & coastal processes
- Soils & groundwater
- Fraser Estuary
- Coquitlam River
- Boundary Bay
- Burns Bog
- Byrne Creek
- Adaptive management
- Impact assessment
- Stakeholders & partnerships
- Conflict resolution
This course involves 2 hours per week of classroom instruction and 4 hours per week of laboratory and field work.
|Interim project report & presentation||20%|
|Final project report & presentation||40%|
Upon completion of SCIE 2307, the student will be able to:
- Describe biological and geological features of a field site of environmental interest.
- Design a sampling protocol and collect biological, geological and chemical samples from a field site.
- Identify and catalogue biological and geological samples in the laboratory.
- Use GPS equipment and GIS software to map a field site.
- Conduct simple chemical analyses of field-collected samples (eg. water samples) in the laboratory.
- Design and conduct simple field experiments to answer questions of environmental interest.
- Operate and maintain field equipment used for collection of data.
- Accurately record data from field collections and experiments and enter into an appropriate computer program (eg. Microsoft Excel).
- Prepare data for presentation (eg. graphically) and conduct simple statistical analyses.
- Organize field, laboratory and data analysis activities by collaboration with a team of students.
- Research an environmental topic related to the data collection above, prepare a major report and present findings in a student conference.
Textbooks and Materials to be Purchased by Students
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
|Institution||Transfer Details||Effective Dates|
|Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU)||KPU SCIE 1XXX (4)||2005/01/01 to -|
|Simon Fraser University (SFU)||SFU GEOG 1XX (3)||2005/01/01 to -|
|Trinity Western University (TWU)||TWU ENVS 2XX (3)||2005/01/01 to -|
|University of British Columbia - Vancouver (UBCV)||UBCV SCIE 1st (4)||2005/01/01 to -|
|University of Northern BC (UNBC)||UNBC ENSC 2XX (3)||2005/01/01 to -|
|University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)||UFV BIOL 2XX (3)||2005/01/01 to -|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||No credit||2005/01/01 to -|