A combination of lecture, demonstration, guided practice, as well as self-paced and timed lab assignments will be used.
Active learning is an integral part of this course. A ‘hands-on” environment will allow students to work independently and collaboratively to learn and hone transcription skills and techniques used in the community.
Transcription Equipment and File Usage
1.1 Use transcription equipment.
1.2 Use checklist to solve common hardware problems.
1.3 Respect lab rules and regulations.
1.4 Apply backup techniques and strategies.
1.5 Practice proper care of tapes and disks (This is deleted as we are using digital transcription equipment)
2.1 Transcribe medical information from recorded data, using acceptable medical formats, for the following reports:
|1.||History and physicals|
3.1 Use diagnostic software to recognize areas of weakness and improve speed and accuracy.
4.1 Access and use available reference sources when keyboarding medical documents including:
|2.||Medical pharmaceutical references|
|4.||Computer spell check and grammar check|
The learner will reliably demonstrate the ability to:
- Understand the importance of the confidentiality of medical reports.
- Describe the purpose and content of the medical record.
- Transcribe medical reports using correct capitalization, number, punctuation, abbreviation, symbol and metric measurement rules.
- Select and use current reference materials effectively.
- Exhibit ethical behaviour with respect to copyright of software, confidentiality, privacy of documents on screen, and sharing of disks and information.
- Set priorities and effectively apply time management strategies.
- Proofread medical information with speed and accuracy.
- Perform drills to develop speed and accuracy.
|Cases (minimum 5)||25%|
|Quizzes (minimum 2)||30%|
|Average of three 5-minute timings||15%|
Textbooks and Materials to be Purchased by Students
Mary Ann Novak and Patricia A. Ireland. Hillcrest Medical Center-Beginning Medical Transcription Course, Latest Edition, Delmar Publishers.
Dorland’s or Taber’s Medical Dictionary, Latest Edition.
Current OADM 1303 texts.
Other textbooks as approved by the department.