- Use correct techniques to operate the alpha-numeric keyboard and the 10-key numeric keypad.
- Apply ergonomic principles to achieve optimum effectiveness.
- Use computer hardware and software components to key, format and print.
- Produce 5-minute timings to a minimum of 30 net words per minute on straight-text copy.
- Proofread effectively.
Students will use computer software to develop keyboard skills. The instructor will facilitate learning through demonstration, motivation, individual instruction, and guided group activities.
|Average speed on best three 5-minute timings on straight-text copy||65%|
|Average speed on best five 2-minute timings on alpha-numeric copy||05%|
|Average speed on straight numeric copy using 10-key keypad||05%|
|Class assignments, drills, exercises||15%|
Students may conduct research as part of their coursework in this class. Instructors for the course are responsible for ensuring that student research projects comply with College policies on ethical conduct for research involving humans, which can require obtaining Informed Consent from participants and getting the approval of the Douglas College Research Ethics Board prior to conducting the research.
The learner has reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- keyboard timings and straight copy accurately by touch
- use efficient keyboarding techniques to produce alpha and numeric copy
- use 10-key numeric pad for straight numeric copy
- demonstrate effective keyboarding technique
- format and print exercises.
Textbooks and Materials to be Purchased by Students
Van Huss, Duncan, et al. College Keyboarding, Lessons 1 - 25, Canadian Latest Ed. ITP Nelson, South Western Educational Publishing, Cincinnati, Ohio
Clayton, Dean. 121 Timed Writings with Skillbuilding Drills, Latest Ed., Cengage Learning, South Western Educational Publishing, Mason, Ohio
Or other textbooks as approved by department
No prerequisite courses.
No corequisite courses.
No equivalent courses.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
|Institution||Transfer Details||Effective Dates|
|Trinity Western University (TWU)||No credit||2016/01/01 to -|