This course is not active. Please contact Department Chair for more information.
- Advanced audio editing, including time stretching, transpositions, loop points etc.
- Advanced software instruments, including synthesizer, percussion and string modeling instruments.
- Virtual orchestras: aesthetics and possibilities.
- Distributed processing, including multicore and multiprocessor systems.
- Sequencing in live performance, using standard DAW software and specialized “Live” programs.
- Ensemble performances (ie., forming a “MIDI Band” for live performance)
- Students may explore individual topics in this class, in consultation with the instructor.
Lecture/demonstration. Students will work alongside the instructor, either in the large studio or Technology Lab. Students will be expected to complete regular assignments and projects outside of class time. These can be done in the lab, the studio, or at home.
|Tests/Quizzes (minimum of 2)||30%|
* The Final Project constitutes one component of the graduation portfolio requirement.
Through lecture/demonstrations and lab work, students will explore advanced techniques in synthesis and audio. Emphasis will be placed on ways in which audio and synthesis are combined in modern music production, along with more experimental uses of this technology.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to work unassisted, with recording and sequencing software, and will understand and be able to apply the following:
- Advanced audio editing
- Advanced software instruments
- Virtual orchestras
- Distributed processing
- Sequencing in live performance
- Ensemble performances
- Individual topics.
No texts or materials are required. All required hardware and software for the completion of assignments and projects is available in the lab (3220) or the studio (3280). Students who wish to work outside the lab may want to purchase their own copies of the software used in class. A complete list of recommended software will be available at the first class session.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
|Institution||Transfer Details||Effective Dates|
|Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU)||KPU MUSI 3XXX (3)||2011/09/01 to 2020/04/30|
|Simon Fraser University (SFU)||SFU CA 3XX (3)||2011/09/01 to 2020/04/30|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||TRU MUSC 3XXX (3)||2011/09/01 to 2020/04/30|
|University of British Columbia - Okanagan (UBCO)||No credit||2011/09/01 to 2020/04/30|
|University of British Columbia - Vancouver (UBCV)||No credit||2011/09/01 to 2020/04/30|
|University of Northern BC (UNBC)||No credit||2011/09/01 to 2020/04/30|
|University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)||UFV GE 1XX (3)||2011/09/01 to 2020/04/30|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||No credit||2011/09/01 to 2020/04/30|