This course is not active. Please contact Department Chair for more information.
- Finding appropriate resources for designing and equipping a project studio
- Choosing the space: bedroom, basement, garage, classroom or new construction
- Basic acoustics: sound, decibels and hearing
- Sound isolation: reflexion, transmission and absorption
- Basic drawing programs: learning to produce simple studio designs
- Acoustical considerations: ceiling height, room volume, and ‘ideal’ proportions
- Subjective room appraisal: what makes a room sound ‘good’ or ‘bad’
- Equipment choice: computer platform, microphones, preamps, hardware versus software recording, mixing and effects
- Maintaining equipment: basic soldering and equipment care
Students will work alongside the instructor in one of the Douglas College recording studios. Students will be expected to complete regular assignments and projects outside of class time. These can be done in the lab, the studio, or at home.
|Tests/Quizzes (minimum of 2)||30%|
On successful completion of the course, students will be able to setup and maintain a typical project studio. Specifically, students will be able to understand and apply the following:
- Internet resources
- Choosing the space
- Basic acoustics
- Sound isolation
- Basic drawing programs
- Acoustical considerations
- Subjective room appraisal
- Equipment choice
- Basic equipment maintenance
F. Alton Everest, How to Build A Small Budget Recording Studio From Scratch: With 12 Tested Designs
Music Technology Certificate Program or permission of instructor
No corequisite courses.
No equivalent courses.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
|Institution||Transfer Details||Effective Dates|
|Athabasca University (AU)||DOUG MUSC 3185 (1.5) & DOUG MUSC 3285 (1.5) = AU APST 2XX (3)||2013/09/01 to 2020/04/30|
|Capilano University (CAPU)||No credit||2013/09/01 to 2020/04/30|
|Coast Mountain College (CMTN)||No credit||2013/09/01 to 2020/04/30|
|Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU)||KPU MUSI 3XXX (2)||2013/09/01 to 2020/04/30|
|Nicola Valley Institute of Technology (NVIT)||No credit||2013/09/01 to 2020/04/30|
|Simon Fraser University (SFU)||SFU CA 3XX (1)||2013/09/01 to 2020/04/30|
|University of British Columbia - Okanagan (UBCO)||No credit||2013/09/01 to 2020/04/30|
|University of British Columbia - Vancouver (UBCV)||No credit||2013/09/01 to 2020/04/30|
|University of Northern BC (UNBC)||No credit||2013/09/01 to 2020/04/30|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||UVIC MUS 3XX (0.5)||2013/09/01 to 2020/04/30|