The following global ideas guide the design and delivery of this course:
- The ability to work as part of a team is crucial for successful interpretation.
- Interpreters work with a diverse group of consumers and must adapt their interpretation strategies to meet the consumer’s needs.
- The ability to accurately assess one’s own interpretation is crucial for successful interpretation.
- To interpret accurately, interpreters need to prepare accordingly for every assignment they attend.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Interpret from ASL into English and from English into ASL, incorporating all main points and necessary supporting detail
- Successfully interpret as part of a team
- Adapt one’s interpretation to meet the language needs of a variety of consumers in a range of settings
- Accurately analyze one’s areas of strength and areas which need improvement
- Plan development strategies for continued growth as an interpreter
- Utilize preparation materials in a constructive and timely manner
This course will conform to Douglas College policy regarding the number and weighting of evaluations. Typical means of evaluation would include a combination of:
- Attendance and participation
- End-of-fourth-semester portfolio of the student’s work.
This is a mastery/non-mastery course.