The following global ideas guide the design and delivery of this course:
- Maintenance of personal wellness is an essential component of the sign language interpreter.
- Professional boundaries must be established in order for interpreters to function effectively.
- Reflective writing strengthens the ability of the professional interpreter to learn from experience.
- Dialogue with working professionals encourages the application of classroom learning.
- Group work
- Experiential classroom activities
- Student presentations
- Guest speakers
- Audio-visual presentations
This course will conform to Douglas College policy regarding the number and weighting of evaluations. Typical means of evaluation would include a combination of:
- Reflective writing
- Class presentation
This is a mastery/non-mastery course.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate ability to integrate wellness into day-to-day life
- Practice and document personal wellness plan during semester
- Practice physical self-care to avoid repetitive strain injuries while interpreting
- Demonstrate strategies for managing personal and professional boundaries
- Develop understanding of professional boundaries
- Apply knowledge of boundaries to professional practice
- Relate reflective writing skills to professional practice
- Practice reflective writing skills
- Learn about the different types of reflective writing used in field work
- Apply classroom learning to the professional field
- Interview a professional interpreter working in the field about their experience in using course content in their work
- Present findings to classmates.
No prerequisite courses.
No corequisite courses.
No equivalent courses.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
|Institution||Transfer Details||Effective Dates|
|University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)||UFV GE 2XX (1.5)||2019/01/01 to -|