- Field trips
- "Serving it Right" Server certification
- The manufacturing process of wine, beer and spirits.
- Management practices for an effective beverage service operation, with emphasis on directing, supervising, scheduling, disciplining and controlling.
- Wine production, classification, service and pairings
- Marketing and merchandising strategies in the beverage department
- Effective bar operation and management
- Proper use of bar tools, equipment and glassware.
- Preparation and service of a variety of cocktails using these methods.
- Proper wine service.
- How to taste and analyze wine.
Students will be able to:
- Identify the physical components of a beverage operation including the bar itself as well as the equipment, tools, staff & ambience and layout considerations.
Define, classify and demonstrate knowledge about the various types of spirits, liqueurs, wines and beers.
Prepare, garnish and serve different kinds of beers, wines, mixed drinks and spirits common to bar operations in appropriate glassware.
Explain the production process of alcoholic beverages.
Describe the role, function and activities of marketing within the beverage department, including key trends and strategies to maximize revenues.
Describe the principles of responsible alcoholic beverage and non-medical cannabis service.
Develop, plan and evaluate beverage menus and wine lists.
Define the role of management within the beverage department.
Communicate the principles and procedures involving purchasing, receiving, storing, issuing and inventory of alcoholic beverages.
Explain how to compute and monitor beverage costs.
Describe how to price beverages, prepare budgets, implement proper controls and track the performance of beverage service operations.
Describe major characteristics of important non- alcoholic beverages (e.g. coffee and tea).
|Project(s)||30% - 40%|
|Quizzes/Tests||30% - 40%|
|Labs/Demos||20% - 30%|
Textbooks and Materials to be Purchased by Students:
Albert W.A. Schmidt . The Hospitality Managers Guide to Wines, Beers and Spirits.
Morelli, Carmine. A Guide to Bartending Recipes.
or similar material as approved by department.
Only calculators approved by Faculty of Commerce and Business may be used on tests and exams.