1. Mechanics of futures and forward markets
2. Determination of forward and futures prices
3. Interest rate futures
4. Hedging strategies using futures
5. Swaps and Pricing
6. Mechanics of options markets
7. Credit derivatives, securitization and the credit crisis of 2007
8. Properties of stock options
9. Trading strategies involving options
10. Option pricing: binomial trees
11. Option pricing: Black-Scholes-Merton model
12. Options on stock indices, interest rate and currencies
13. Value at risk, volatility and risk management
14. Derivatives mishaps and lessons learned
Lectures and seminar discussion
Midterm exam 30%
Case & Project 15-25%
Final Exam 35%
1. Students who do not achieve a grade of at least 50% on the combined exam components will fail the course.
2. Students may conduct research as part of their coursework in this class. Instructors for the course are responsible for ensuring that student research projects comply with College policies on ethical conduct for research involving humans, which can require obtaining Informed Consent from participants and getting the approval of the Douglas College Research Ethics Board prior to conducting the research.
At the end of the course, the successful student should be able to:
1. understand different types of derivative securities and specialized financial products, and derivative markets;
2. examine and utilize derivative securities as tools for hedging, arbitrage, speculation and risk management;
3. determine the value of different derivative securities; and
4. analyze the impact of derivative securities on financial markets and lessons learned from derivatives mishaps.
Hull, John C. Fundamentals of Futures and Options Markets, Latest Ed. Prentice Hall Canada (or other textbooks as approved by the Finance Department).
Financial calculator as approved by the department.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
|Institution||Transfer Details||Effective Dates|
|Athabasca University (AU)||AU FNCE 403 (3)||2016/09/01 to -|
|Capilano University (CAPU)||CAPU BFIN 3XX (3)||2016/09/01 to -|
|Coast Mountain College (CMTN)||No credit||2016/09/01 to -|
|College of the Rockies (COTR)||COTR ACCT 3XX (3)||2016/09/01 to -|
|Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU)||No credit||2016/09/01 to -|
|Simon Fraser University (SFU)||SFU BUS 2XX (3)||2016/09/01 to -|
|University Canada West (UCW)||UCW FNCE 4XX (3)||2017/01/01 to -|
|University Canada West (UCW)||No credit||2016/09/01 to 2016/12/31|
|University of British Columbia - Vancouver (UBCV)||UBCV COMM 4th (3)||2016/09/01 to -|
|University of Northern BC (UNBC)||UNBC COMM 421 (3)||2016/09/01 to -|
|University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)||UFV BUS 434 (3)||2016/09/01 to -|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||UVIC COM 3XX (1.5)||2016/09/01 to -|