- Pertinent mathematics and algebra review: ratios, proportions, percent, fractions, exponents, problem-solving logic, logarithms and weighted average.
- Application of linear functions to a variety of business problems, including percent change, payroll and return on investment, discounts, mark-up, mark-down.
- Cost Volume Profit Analysis: linear break-even by quantity, dollar amount, percent of capacity.
- Simple interest: time value of money, equivalent values, promissory notes, T-bills, commercial paper, demand loans.
- Compound interest: present, future and equivalent values, equivalent and effective interest rates, using differing compounding and payment periods, bond valuations.
- Annuities: annuities, loan amortization, mortgages, sinking fund provisions, perpetuities.
- Business investment decisions using net present value and internal rate of return.
Material will be presented within an interactive lecture and seminar format.
|Term Exams (2-4)||40-60%|
Students may conduct research as part of their coursework in this class. Instructors for the course are responsible for ensuring that student research projects comply with College policies on ethical conduct for research involving humans, which can require obtaining Informed Consent from participants and getting the approval of the Douglas College Research Ethics Board prior to conducting the research.
At the end of the course, the successful student should be able to:
- demonstrate mathematical and algebraic skills and use of logic to solve business-related problems;
- solve mathematics of merchandising problems, including cash and trade discounts, mark-up and mark-down;
- demonstrate competence in solving financial problems involving the calculation of simple and compound interest, annuities, investment and management decisions; and
- solve basic linear problems in two variables and determine break-even positions in business.
Textbooks and Materials to be Purchased by Students
1. Hummelbrunner, Halliday, Coombs, Contemporary Business Mathematics, latest Canadian Edition, Pearson Education
or Jerome, Ernest F. Business Mathematics in Canada, latest edition, McGraw Hill
or alternate textbook approved by the Department.
2. Calculator: Texas Instruments BA II Plus OR as approved by the Department.
Pre-Calculus 11 (C or higher) or Foundations of Math 11 (C or higher) or MATU 0410 (C or higher) or an approved substitute,
OR currrently active in the PDD in Financial Analysis, PDD International Business Management, PDD Financial Planning, PBD International Supply Chain Management, PBD Accounting and Finance, or PBD Finance.
Course Guidelines for previous years are viewable by selecting the version desired. If you took this course and do not see a listing for the starting semester / year of the course, consider the previous version as the applicable version.
|Institution||Transfer Details||Effective Dates|
|Acsenda School of Management (ASM)||ASM MT 1100 (3)||2006/01/01 to 2010/08/31|
|Acsenda School of Management (ASM)||ASM BADM 120 (3)||2010/09/01 to -|
|Camosun College (CAMO)||CAMO FIN 110 (3)||2013/01/01 to -|
|Capilano University (CAPU)||CAPU BADM 102 (3)||2004/09/01 to -|
|College of the Rockies (COTR)||COTR OFAD 157 (1.5)||2020/01/01 to -|
|Coquitlam College (COQU)||COQU BUSI 110 (3)||2018/09/01 to -|
|Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU)||KPU BUQU 1130 (3)||2017/09/01 to -|
|Langara College (LANG)||LANG MATH 1118 (3) or LANG MATH 1119 (3)||2004/09/01 to 2014/08/31|
|Langara College (LANG)||LANG MATH 1119 (3)||2014/09/01 to -|
|North Island College (NIC)||NIC BUS 132 (3)||2004/09/01 to -|
|Okanagan College (OC)||OC MATH 114 (3)||2016/01/01 to -|
|Simon Fraser University (SFU)||SFU BUS 2XX (3)||2017/09/01 to -|
|Simon Fraser University (SFU)||No credit||2004/09/01 to -|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||TRU MATH 1100 (3)||2010/09/01 to 2016/08/31|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||TRU MATH 1XXX (3)||2016/09/01 to -|
|Thompson Rivers University (TRU)||TRU MATH 110 (3)||2004/09/01 to 2010/08/31|
|Trinity Western University (TWU)||TWU MATH 101 (3)||2004/09/01 to 2013/12/31|
|Trinity Western University (TWU)||TWU MATH 1XX (3)||2014/01/01 to 2021/08/31|
|Trinity Western University (TWU)||TWU MATH 101 (3)||2021/09/01 to -|
|University of British Columbia - Okanagan (UBCO)||No credit||2006/09/01 to -|
|University of British Columbia - Okanagan (UBCO)||UBCO MATH 1st (3)||2005/05/01 to 2006/08/31|
|University of British Columbia - Vancouver (UBCV)||No credit||2004/09/01 to -|
|University of the Fraser Valley (UFV)||UFV BUS 162 (3)||2004/09/01 to -|
|University of Victoria (UVIC)||No credit||2004/09/01 to -|
|Vancouver Community College (VCC)||VCC HOSP 1810 (3)||2020/09/01 to 2023/04/30|
|Vancouver Island University (VIU)||VIU FNCE 1st (3)||2016/01/01 to -|