Douglas College has a comprehensive sprinkler system throughout the buildings. There are also many fire hose cabinets and fire extinguishers at key locations. Take time to familiarize yourself with these locations.
If you discover a fire:
- Shout to warn others to evacuate the room or area immediately.
- Activate the red alarm pull station (located at all exits from the building).
- Close any doors behind you.
- The fire department will be notified automatically.
- Call security at 2400 or your floor warden of the exact location and nature of the fire.
Things to remember:
- Follow instructions from emergency personnel (wearing orange vests).
- Check doors for heat before opening. If you need to open a closed door and you suspect that a fire condition may be present, feel the door with the back of your hand first to see if it is hot. If it is hot to the touch, do not open that door.
- Proceed down the nearest safe stairwell and out to the assembly area.
- Do not run.
- If you encounter heavy smoke, keep low (crawl), use the wall to guide you to the nearest exit.
Be prepared! Employees should be familiar with the location of fire extinguishers in their immediate work area and should read the operating instructions before an emergency situation occurs. Enroll in a fire extinguisher training session offered by your health and safety committee.