Here are a few signs of emotional distress requiring immediate attention:
- Expressions of suicidal thoughts or intent
- Expression of violence towards others
- Severe loss of emotional control
- Bizarre behaviour or gross impairment in thinking ability
If you see any of these signs, follow this procedure:
- Call security at local 2400 from a College phone; from a cell phone call New Westminster security at 604 527 5405 or Coquitlam security at 604 777 6254. If no security is working at your site, call the police.
- Advise that you have a person in emotional crisis and need emergency assistance.
- Security will call 911 and then proceed to your location to provide support.
- Stay with the person needing assistance unless your safety is threatened.
- Once emergency responders are on scene they will evaluate the situation and determine the course of action.
Helpful community agencies who provide counselling for people in distress:
|B.C.-wide toll-free||1-800-SUICIDE (1 800 784 2433)|
|Vancouver||604 872 3311|
|Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, Port Moody, Pitt Meadows, New Westminster||604 540 2221|
|Surrey, White Rock, Langley, North Delta||604 951 8855|
Mind check offers access to mental health and addictions information for youth and young adults and includes information about anxiety, depression, substance use, psychosis and other mental health and addictions issues that challenge young lives.